Remedial Coaching For Sc/St/Obc (Non-Creamy Layer) & Minority Community Students
- Education is meant not only to nurture the excellence already in a gifted person but also to uplift the not-so-gifted, so that he / she is equipped to safeguard his / her interests in independent democratic India. The Constitution of India recognizes the SCs and STs as the two most backward groups needing special protection. Further, democracy demands the necessity to protect and foster the interests and needs of the minority groups. In order to enable students belonging to SC / ST / OBC (non-creamy layer) / Minority communities, who need remedial coaching to come up to the 30 Level necessary for pursuing higher studies efficiently and to reduce their failure and drop-out rate, the UGC will provide financial assistance for conducting special classes outside the regular timetable during the Twelfth Plan. Students belonging to Other Backward Classes and General Candidates may also be allowed the benefit of such coaching classes. A nominal fee (not exceeding the monthly tuition fee) may be charged from the general candidates. However, physically challenged students and students who are General Candidates coming from families with income below the poverty line (as guided by the State/ UT/ Central Government) will be exempted from paying the fee.
- Remedial Coaching is to be organized at Undergraduate / Postgraduate level with a view to:
- > Improving academic skills and linguistic proficiency of the students in various subjects.
- > Raising their level of comprehension of basic subjects to provide a stronger foundation for further academic work.
- > Strengthening their knowledge, skills and attitudes in such subjects, where quantitative and qualitative techniques and laboratory activities are involved so that proper guidance and training provided under the programme may enable the students to come up to the level necessary for pursuing higher studies efficiently.
- Colleges covered under Sections 2(f) and 12B of the UGC Act, having at least 100 students belonging to SC/ST/OBC (excluding creamy layer)/ Minority communities will be considered for financial assistance under this scheme. 20% of the total number students other than those belonging to SC/ST/OBC (excluding creamy layer)/ Minority communities may also be considered for coaching under the scheme.